Monday, March 3, 2014

Antique Wedding Dress Ensemble - February's Favorite Find

I only went to two sales in February and only bought one thing at each sale.  So I don't have much to choose from for February's Favorite Find.  Even so what I did find is fabulous and it probably would have been my favorite find anyway. 

The sale I attended was in an old yet upscale area of town.  The house was just gorgeous with huge rooms and high ceilings.  And although one wouldn't choose to wall paper their home from top to bottom with ivy wall paper and matching green carpet it seemed to somehow suit the home.  I would have kept it that way and loved it if I would have purchase the home.

There was a lot of quality antique furniture and artwork for sale as well as sterling silver flatware and other high quality items.  Nothing I was in the market for.  Then ahhhhh there is was, a beautiful antique wedding gown with veil and wax crown.  And sitting next to the gown was a photograph of the lady wearing the ensemble on her wedding day. 

I'll let the pictures do the talking.














 

 Agnes Flora Dempster Hill wore this ivory silk gown adorned with Brussels lace, matching cathedral veil and wax flower crown on April 14th, 1910.  Reception was held at the Duquesne Club in Pittsburg PA.  (That's when Pittsburgh didn't have an h).  There was a portion of the veil cut out that was used for a granddaughters veil.  I am happy to own this and will enjoy it for a little while before I sell it.  It is not a dress I ultimately want for my collection.  I am looking for a 1930's wedding gown that resembles my late grandmothers.  She cut it up and made curtains or something out of hers. :(
 

No comments:

Post a Comment